Re: [eclipse-dev] BigSur fixes for M3

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Becker, Matthias <ma.becker@xxxxxxx> wrote:

But maybe we could simple cherry-pick these fixes to the 4.17 maintenance branch. So it would make it lesser effort for others to build a patched 4.17 on themselves.

That's probably a good compromise. However, IIRC the PMC has to approve such cherry-picking to maintenance.

PMC approval was needed when there were builds from maintenance branches. Since there are no bugs from maintenance branches now I haven't seen PMC approvals for such backports so it's much more free reigns there for committers to do backports.

Before we start spending time on it, does anyone here really plan to rebuild 4.17 with those patches for their product? I don't think we should cherry-pick "just in case someone wants it", we need to first have a case to drive that effort and make it profitable-ish enough to distract contributors from ongoing development towards master.
So I suggest anyone who has a real need for it to get in touch with the PMC about it, and maybe even to prepare a series of Gerrit cherry-picked patches targeting the maintenance branch. Otherwise, it's probably better to just not care and keep working on a better 4.18 release.