From: dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 6:42 AM
To: DSDP PMC list
Subject: RE: [dsdp-pmc] PMC Meeting - Thursday August 7

Hi all,

I don't think that quality of the contributions is really relevant at this point,

since that's up to the project (and nominator) to decide. What counts for

me is openness, transparency, and observing IP rules of engagement.

Moreover, becoming a committer is about committing Code, so at least

one of these contributions should be some code which actually made it into

the code base and thus shows that the contributor went through the

IP process.

Since Bugzilla is the only allowed means of inbound contribution (yes,

you cannot just copy & paste stuff from the mailing list into CVS -

see Figure 11 on http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf

I'm in favor of requiring one bugzilla.

There's a corner case in Figure 2 of the Legal poster (contributors from

same company under supervision of the pmc don't need bugzilla). But

since this corner case is neither Open nor Transparent, I'm in favor

of requiring bugzilla also in this case.

All this being said, what about this wording:

Committer Nominations must reference at least 3 publicly visible

records of contribution. At least one of these must be a patch in

bugzilla on behalf of the nominating project.

References should be by means of hyperlink (URL) for easy review,

and can be mailing list, wiki or newsgroup contributions.

Cheers,

http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm