Re: [cdt-dev] Is CMake support stable?

Hi! Replies inline

> On Dec 9, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Martin Weber <fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2020 05:25:37 CET Marc-Andre Laperle wrote:
>> I run cmake (Homebrew) on the command line and change the “make" command for
>> ninja, in a MBS project of type “Empty Makefile project". That’s also what
>> I do on Linux and non-cmake projects. This way (Makefile+MBS) works for any
>> external builder and probably gives you the most options in the UI as a
>> user, but it’s a lot of manual configuration. I’ve tried other ways before
>
> Works, but sigh: Its tedious.
>
> My goal for CDT + cmake is to bring it to a level where your co-workers can
> simply import an eclipse project from SCM and build. Without to perfom the
> tedious steps that you mention. And without to fiddle around project-
> properties  to make the build succeed on your OS. MBS + "that_3rdparty_plugin"
> proof that it can be done. (To the extend that MBS allows.)

Sorry, I didn’t mean that we should aim for normal users to do that because, really, it’s way too much manual configuration. I fully support the idea to make this simpler for users and I really appreciate that you are looking into this.

>> either. It’s a best effort, like a lot of things.
>
> Any suggestions to improve CDT cmake support are welcome! And you are one of
> the few who really seem to use CDT + cmake on macOs.
> The author of "that_3rdparty_plugin" (me) never received much feedback from
> macOs users.

That’s a bit what I was getting at when replying to Liviu, i.e. his feedback/contributions are needed for better macOS support.
I only occasionally use CMake to test the compilation database parser in the language settings provider, but that is not Core build. I do not use cmake for any real projects.
I don’t mind helping to test it and provide some feedback but it would probably be more efficient and reliable from someone who needs it for something real in the day to day. Do not hesitate to contact me for questions or more targeted tests on macOS.

Cheers,
Marc-André