[cdt-dev] Heads-up: A new renaming UI tool

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a new UI tool for renaming model elements. It relies on search in finding all occurrences of a specific model element and changes the found occurrences in the code to a new name. It could be invoked by a menu item in the C/C++ Packages view.

I have used the basic architecture of the JDT refactoring, but simplified it to a great extent. In JDT, refactoring has many specific options depending on the renamed element. It also has an undo manager and a sophisticated preview page. Further, JDT has defined refactoring as an extension point such that participants could change its behavior if they wish.

The new tool does not have all of this. It just has a simple preview where the user can choose to apply changes to a whole file or skip that specific file. It totally depends on search, so its correctness is fairly high. It is not too sophisticated and it does not have an undo manager; however, it can be viewed as a seed that could be added to later to develop a solid refactoring tool.

I am still testing the tool, but I am planning to submit it soon. I am interested to know what everyone thinks about this.

Regards,
Hoda Amer
Staff Software Engineer
Rational Software - IBM Software Group