Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Proposing olinks

On 2/19/21 11:44 AM, Jay Bryant wrote:
> If a language has a feature, the specification should state how that
> feature works. It should NOT be up to implementations. I really detest
> having to adjust a document to work with different tools because they
> chose to tackle some implementation-dependent feature in multiple ways.

Thank you very much for this perspective!

I completely agree about the potential nightmare of implementation
dependence and it reminds me of "undefined behavior" in programming
languages - something to be avoided when possible.

I think I have an idea for resolving inter-document xrefs in a manner that:

1. Describes current xref behavior (as I understand it)
2. Is completely defined (no implementation dependence!)
3. Is independent of input or output filesystems

But that will be a separate thread and I'm not going to post anything
until I've proven it with actual working code.

(As Fermat once maddeningly wrote, "I have discovered a truly marvelous
proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain.")

I'd like to add that I think "fast and furious" technical conversations
are to be expected when there are a lot of details to be considered and
resolved. They are a PROBLEM if the group comes to conclusions quickly
and refuses to hear new ideas. Clearly nothing has been concluded in
this thread, so I don't think we're in any danger of that here. :-)

I'm very glad to hear your power is back. Stay well!

-Dave Gauer

Back to the top