Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Proposing olinks

After some more thought I’ve refined my perspective a bit.

Currently my concept of Asciidoctor at least is really focussed on processing one source document, and any relationship to other documents is required to be via file system links.

I think a more useful idea is of processing a set of source documents with some logical structure into a set of output documents with a possibly transformed output structure.

For instance, Antora processes a set of source documents into a website, with some of the source transformed into web pages.
As an example (there are other ways to do this), my antora-pdf pipeline extension adds the ability to Antora to, with a little bit of instruction, transform subsets of the source documents into (single) pdfs.
Even just considering normal `include::` usage, there is no 1-1 source-target document correspondence.

From this point of view, I like the idea of `xref` expressing links between source documents in the set and `link` expressing links outside the set.
To me, it makes the most sense to think about this in terms of the output documents.
Then, `olink` doesn’t really make sense, because whether the target is in the same output document or not depends on processing, not source structure.

I think some more thinking is needed about the architecture of the relationship of an AsciiDoc processor to an expression of the source document set structure and boundaries.

David Jencks