Re: [udig-devel] Logging in uDig, DB2 JDBC driver setup

Hi Jody, thanks for the quick response.

I'm using uDig 1.1.1.

Does uDig access the JDBC drivers from the location specified in the preferences or does it copy them to the uDig install tree? It looks like it does the latter.

These are the log messages from the attempted connection to the DB2 for z/OS database. This is after filling in the all the connection parameters & database name and then clicking on the drop-down box for Schema:
!ENTRY net.refractions.udig.catalog.ui 4 0 2008-12-02 06:45:30.343
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.db2.ui.DB2WizardPage.getConnection(Unknown Source) at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.db2.ui.DB2WizardPage.populateSchema(Unknown Source) at net.refractions.udig.catalog.ui.wizard.DataBaseRegistryWizardPage.focusGained(Unknown Source)

There is no error message displayed. It just shows the progress bar for a few seconds and stays in the same state.

The same symptoms occur if you specify some invalid parameters like port number for a valid DB2 LUW database.

Is the uDig source still available? I looked in http://svn.geotools.org/tags/udig1.1 but this seemed to be a version of GeoTools source.

David

Jody Garnett wrote:
David Adler wrote:
When attempting to connect to a DB2 for z/OS database, the connection dialog puts up a "connecting to database" message for a few seconds but doesn't successfully connect or report any connection failure.

Is there anyplace to look for error messages?
The Help menu submit error log has it; as does the about box. The online help has details...
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Submit+Error+Log
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/View+Error+Log+and+Configuration+Details

Log messages are usually enabled via the Eclipse tracing mechanism... here are docs for wms:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Tracing+WMS+Calls

I am not sure what the right entries are for DB2....internally for this stuff we kick the Java logging when the plugin starts up.
I tried to turn on Java logging by modifying udig\eclipse\jre\lib\logging.properties but don't get any logging output.

Also, the first time after uDig is installed and a DB2 layer is selected, a dialog is displayed to select the location of the DB2 JDBC driver files. How does uDig know that this is the first time?
I think it checks to see if it has preference settings for the DB2 plugin.
To run with DB2 for z/OS, a different license file is required but one doesn't get a second chance to specify the JDBC driver files. I manually copied the file to the appropriate place in the uDig install subdirectory but don't know if this solved the problem since I still can't connect.
You can go into the preference page for DB2 and choose different drivers later.

Can I ask what version you are using today David?
Jody