Re: [udig-devel] Projection WGS 84 as default

Right; well here is what I am thinking. When I go into a GIS shop most times they just have directories full of shapefiles. No projections. The files are all in the same projection and everybody knows that and they don't bother to tell the tools (because that would be an extra step). uDig is one of the few tools that cares; how should we work with these shops that don't care?

I figure we have 30 mins of their time (usually 10 mins) and if this is slowing us down during that initial evaluation window then we need to do something about it. Another idea would be to prompt the first time a "unprojected" shp is loaded, and show them the default, and have a little check box that says "don't ask me again".

So it is my turn; this seems simply normal.

I think my idea about remembering a CRS per directory "path" may be the best... it would catch the case where all the files in a directory are in the same CRS; and we could prompt the user when they start working in another directory.
Jody

Adrian Custer wrote:
Maybe I'm dense but this seems simply wrong. You want to define the
values of the coordinates when they have no values? This sounds like I
give you a graph with the axes unlabeled and then you are going to
decide what the axes are. If we have no unit information we can only
plot this as x and y.
We could start guessing based on the size of the values but I don't
think that's what you are talking about.
Regardless, only the user can really start assigning 'default' CRS's;
uDig can only help to the extent of informing the user some key stuff is
missing and providing easy ways to fix missing info.

--adrian

Back to the top