Re: [udig-devel] Projection WGS 84 as default

Andrea Antonello wrote:
This should be caught at several levels:

        1) the catalog should warn users during import and flag the
        catalog entry (the latter will not happen until we improve the
        catalog)
2) On dragging the layer into the map we should perhaps have a
        warning although this might start getting annoying so maybe we
        pick one place to have the warnings and stick with that.
3) The map should *not* display the map 'projection' as
        EPSG:4??? It's not going to anyhow. The map will simply be in
        cartesian coordinates using the values in the shapefile---you
        wouldn't know what else to do. So it's really the map
projection descriptor which should show "Cartesian" or "unprojected"
or something similar.

I completely agree on this with you Adrian, I also went for this once.
The fact seems to be a WFS or some other service problem that forces
this default setting.

Couldn't this be asked at startup or something similar? Or could that be set at least as some passed variable or in the
*.ini file? That would be fine to solve with a script or something
alike.

Andrea
I have a similar situation here; basically it would be nice to have a default crs for when one is not provided; I can think of two good ways.

a) A solution at the catalog level ...
- assign per url ... so all the services that have file:C///data//example/ ---> EPSG:3005

b) Solution(s) at the map level
- assign a default CRS for each map ... as a Map Property
- grab the map CRS and assume that is good ..

The existing solution (an application wide preference) is not so much fun.

So out of the above ideas what would meet our mandate of a "sensible" default?

Back to the top