Re: [udig-devel] Map CRS woes

Jody Garnett ha scritto:
Andrea Aime wrote:

Hi all,
today I'm wrestling a bit with map CRS.

First of all, I wonder why both image with wld file and maps default to the EPSG:4326 system. I mean, if the projection is not specified, why do you assume
coordinates are specified in lat/long?
This can lead to very strange results when images are not associated to a
projection file, but are yet projected (since the coordinates go far
beyond the lat/long ranges).
Why haven't you used DefaultEngineeringCRS.Generic2D which, as far as I rememember, was designed exactly for situations in which you don't know what CRS to use, and have good behaviour when mixing unknown data and data
with a project in the same map (see the Generic2D javadoc)?

Probably because we don't known about it, most of the data we find as "unknown" is actuall 4326 ... perhaps this is just different experiences? In anycase a preference page should be set up for this one, as some shops
run everything in a "well known" projection.

Yep, in Italy almost everything is in WGS84:UTM32N or in our local variant,
the Gauss-Boaga system. Yet working with a pure cartesian system is the
most sensible default when you don't know about the data projection....

Second, when I create a map by using "add to new map" from the catalog, it
would be sensible if the map used the same crs as the chosen GeoResource,
should that GeoResource have one, shouldn't it?

Agreed, but thi

Maybe you forgot to finish this comment? ;-)
Andrea

Back to the top