RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

Doug,

I agree with all your reservations, but they are all things I've had to
live with.

Please don't make comments like folks trying to do releases without going
through the IP process.  That just seems to stir up a whole bunch of
issues, such as what does the word "release" mean and what is the process
for doing a release.  Parallel IP is not about bypassing the IP process,
but rather about allowing the committers to make progress while the IP
process is underway.  There is still an initial review required to take
advantage of parallel IP and one need to be approved to use it based on
that preliminary review.   Under no circumstances should parallel IP be
used to subvert the process!

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Bjorn Freeman-Benson
             tools-pmc-bounces         <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
             @eclipse.org              Doug Schaefer <DSchaefer@xxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
                                       Tools PMC mailing list
             10/22/2007 11:08          <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                       RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev]
                                       Contribution on VE with XML editor
             Please respond to
             Tools PMC mailing
                   list
             <tools-pmc@eclips
                  e.org>

Incubator components would make sense. Having to recreate the project
structure, even if it is the same people, is where I have issues. Also the
façade that they are two separate projects is misleading to the community
since operationally they are not. Projects in my mind are organizational
things, i.e. the people. Is it the code that?s incubating or the people?

If all we?re trying to achieve is the ability to do releases for code that
hasn?t gone through the IP process. Maybe having an incubator area in the
CVS/SVN repository and a tagging of bits in the downloads area as
incubating would be enough.

I?m just worried that people might be abusing the Incubator process as a
workaround for going through the proper IP process.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems