Re: [science-iwg] Eclipse as a platform for scientific applications

Hi Torkild,

my 2 cents:

In addition to the reasons given by Philip (which I agree with) I also see:

(o) main reason for me is that Eclipse offers the possibility of building a commercial quality UI with open source which is multi-platform. Many of the features of a good UI in commercial tools are available for free in Eclipse (e.g. help, search, cheatsheets, workbench, perspectives, etc.) (o) the modular approach of the Eclipse plugin system is excellent and is well suited to writing complex UI tools because it scales well

Some disadvantages I have encountered are:

(o) a minority of scientists are sceptical of any tool based on Java - probably because they do not know and/or like Java (o) Java is not a common choice in the scientific world. Python has better acceptance but most Python UI's are not professional nor do they scale (o) workbenches need to interact with different languages especially in the scientific world. The Java to Python/Fortran/Matlab/IDL bridges are not always that good

That being said I think Eclipse/RCP offers the best platform for UI development for the kind of tools we need for multi-disciplinary science. At the end of the day the majority (fortunately) of scientist do not care about the language in which their tool is written (e.g. Matlab UI is written in Java and it does not seem to bother most scientists).

Scientific visualistion used to be an issue in SWT but this has since been solved with the various plotting libraries out there. Take a look at Dawn as example (http://www.dawnsci.org).

Best regards

Andy

by