Re: [science-iwg] Eclipse as a platform for scientific applications

Hi Torkild,

the main reasons why I chose Eclipse as a platform for my scientific application are:

* Its modularity - it enables to make a clear cut between different concerns. Moreover, it enforces to think about a well designed architecture of the software previously. * Its extensibility - if I need a e.g. a GIT plug-in for my RCP, I just can install from the marketplace and don't have to write it by my own. Great! * Its platform independence - it's marvelous that it runs under different operating systems. * Its native look - frankly, who really likes Swing? The first time I saw a RCP/SWT app I didn't believed that it was Java :-) ... and people like to have a native look, me too. * It's Java - previously I've done a lot of VB6 and I seriously thought about C#, but there are so many fantastic Java libraries for scientific approaches (Apache Math, SWT-XY-Graph, SWT Chart, ...). Hence, it was clear to take Java.

Cheers,
Philip