Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

Hi all,

I’m just a 2-times contributor, and these are my 2 cents:

The eco-system contributors have to face in order to contribute should be either easy to learn - or easy to understand - and in the best case it also should be snazzy. And Bugzilla/Gerrit is imho neither of them. Also, I remember when I read the docs and configured Gerrit for the first time, it didn’t work, and I had to ask committers first. When I now think of contributing more stuff to Eclipse, I think a) Yes, that could be fun and b) I would have to configure Gerrit-access again (other machine) and work with Bugzilla again which is slow and lacks features that are meanwhile considered basic in the likes of Github.
So, I most of the time I end up with: I could work on other stuff, instead.

Yes, forking, pushing and creating a pull request in Github isn’t as simple as having a ready-to-rumble Gerrit config. But a lot of developers do this multiple times per day - so it could be considered muscle-memory. They won’t have to learn something new just to contribute to anything on Github. Also, with Github Actions and maybe Github CLI it should be possible to automate some stuff to make contributing even easier. And we also could improve Eclipse itself to make contributing to Eclipse via Github easier.

Cheers
Ingo

Back to the top