Re: [jdt-dev] RFC - Withdrawing compiler support for older versions of Java levels

In my example I mentioned Java 8, not 1.1. That makes a difference, not
just concerning byte code verification. Anyway, what is the upside? My
experience in bank IT are long product lifecycles, and there are many
legacy products which are out of active development in some kind of
maintenance mode. The latter calls for stability. While there are still
occasional code changes (bugfixes, legally required extensions etc.),

I keep hearing this argument. FWIW, if someone calls for stability they are likely staying on a stable IDE setup as well.Hence, they are not updating Maven, Tycho, Eclipse or any other development tool or component in such a setup. Thus, I think you can ignore this use case and argument in general.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/