Re: [jdt-dev] RFC - Withdrawing compiler support for older versions of Java levels

I do not follow. Compiling to target 8 or 1.5 does not mean to actually
run the code on JDK 5 or 8. I know dozens of legacy applications in bank
IT running on JDK 17 or 21, but e.g. maintained as source/target 8. I
understand that you are encouraging the JDT Core team to drop older
compile targets, and I acknowledge that there are good reasons to do so,
but security is none of them in this context.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Timothy Spear via jdt-dev schrieb am 28.03.2024 14:43 (GMT +01:00):

> I mostly work in the FinTech space. So cyber security is a significant
> concern; which also means not being able to use a Java version which
> is EOL.
>
> I am not sure what is the correct metric, maybe support one release
> past EOL.... With this in mind, I would rather see some sort of
> policy/guideline instead of approaching it on an ad-hoc basis.

Back to the top