Re: [incubation] Closing/deleting feature branches in git

On 12/13/2016 12:44 PM, Alois Zoitl wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 15:09 +0000, Ed Willink wrote:
Hi
The default settings are that you can delete branches named azoitl/*
(assuming that azoitl is your commit name).
Does this mean I have to prefix feature branches which I want to be
able to delete later with my commit name? I would find this rather
inconvenient.
There has been a misunderstanding here. What is mentioned is just a convention. You can do whatever you want in your repo and name the branches as you see fit.

As commiter I'm creating feature branches also for
contributors so that they have a place where they can push commits to
gerrit in a branch which is later merged to the main development. As it
is not me I'm working on the branch I would not like to see my name
there.

How are other projects handling this?
As for the absence of permission to delete a branch, iirc it was historically setup this way to avoid misusage by the many ppl that migrated from CVS and had little experience with Git. As others mentioned this can be resolved by opening a bug in the Git component at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community

Thanks,
Alois

You can request to be given more permissive push capabilities.
(Pehaps temporarily while you rename to conform to the standard
policy.)
     Regards
         Ed Willink