Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Until and unless a new composite is provided the upgrade feature won't be available

> On 30 Nov 2020, at 22:11, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Well in that case you can just make the /update/v6 the composite instead of releases/6.0.

Hmmm... I was just preparing SimRel for 2020-12-rc1.

Can we do this in rc2?

---

However I'm not sure I got the details.

The URL 'updates/v6' was intended to remain valid as long as the version remains 6.x (the plug-ins remain compatible), while 'releases/6.0' would be valid only for 6.0.x, and will be later followed by `releases/6.1' and so on, so those who have 6.0 installed will no longer get updates.

So, if we stick to 'updates/v6', all future releases will accumulate there, and there may be lots of them. Is this a problem?

Another solution would be to keep 'updates/v6' with the latest release, as of now, and have multiple 'releases/6.0', 'releases/6.1', etc as composite sites. But this means the users have to manually configure one of these URLs to access previous versions. How would users know these URLs? This seems quite complicated.

---

Assuming we make 'updates/v6' composite, the publish procedure would be:

- publish the actual release to a new folder like 'releases/6.0.0', 'releases/6.0.01', etc
- update the two magic file to include the new folder
- copy the two files to 'updates/v6'

Is this correct? Should 'updates/v6' include anything else apart from these two files?

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top