Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Renaming features without breaking compatibility?

> On 29 Oct 2020, at 20:13, Alexander Fedorov <alexander.fedorov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I can imagine such a spell from p2 dark magic arsenal, but I'm not sure if it does exist

see the message from Marc, copied below.

> What kind of scenario do you have in mind as an "update path"? The scenario can be different for "users" and "integrators", it may require too much effort to support "integrators"

yes, my main concern is for users, I remember it was a small hell when I renamed features in the past, people installed the new features over the old ones, and everything was a mess, the usual solution was to scrap the Eclipse and install a fresh one. I would avoid it as much as possible.

> On 14 Oct 2020, at 01:00, Marc-Andre Laperle <malaperle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi! I don’t know if you have done this or seen this before but you can allow installable units to be upgraded to a different id, in p2.inf. At least I know for a fact that it works for features. We have done this in the past a few times in Trace Compass project when things got renamed and moved between projects. Let me know if that’s something that would be useful for embed-cdt in a rename effort that would be transparent to users.

do you understand how this works?

regards,

Liviu

Back to the top