Re: [embed-cdt-dev] EPP

30.07.2020 17:09, Liviu Ionescu пишет:

On 30 Jul 2020, at 16:47, Alexander Fedorov <alexander.fedorov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The first step is to define the release cadence. Would you stick to release once a quarter or this will be too often?
well, it depends on what you mean by 'release'. plug-in release or package release?
For CDT and many other projects this is the synchronized event.

plug-in releases generally happen when important issues are fixed, or new features are added, and do not have a cadence.

package releases will (hopefully) follow the Eclipse cadence.

The next step could be an attempt to build with 2020-09 stream
due to the manual way to update the epp packages, this becomes very difficult, since, in order to do it only once, I need the final cpp packages.

if I do it now, I'll either miss all future changes that might occur to cpp, or have to redo the whole thing again and again. not a joy.
The only way I see to resolve it is to add the embed-cdt package to the EPP project.

And how can I create the release record for the next release when I don't know what changes will be included, so what will be the version number?
The only thing that you need to decide is: would you consider breaking changes for the next release or not.
ah, I know the semantics of the version numbers, but how can I tell if the changes are breaking compatibility, if they are enhancements or bug fixes?
It is very formal and partially automated by Tycho for the Java API that you bundles provide. Of cause we always can find corner cases, when actual compatibility is broken by "one byte change". But you always (OK, almost always) know which change is compatible.

unless the Eclipse Foundation has a crystal ball to tell the future, I personally have no idea what changes will come with the next release.
This is a kind of commitment. I do not see anything bad in this commitment as downstream functionality should be aware of what to wait from the project. If you plan a release in 2020-09 with no breaking changes - then no breaking changes should be included for 2020-09. If you want to keep the freedom to introduce breaking change at any moment - you can declare each release as a major one.

Regards,
AF

regards,

Liviu