Re: [eclipse-dev] Installer for Windows version of Eclipse

Aaron Optimizer Digulla schrieb:

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:38:27PM +0100, J. Henning Schwentner wrote:

Dear Eclipse developers,

AFAIK there is a zip-archive of the Windows version of Eclipse, but no installer (like a setup.exe) like it is usual for applications on the Windows platform. I think such installer could be really nice especially for Eclipse because Eclipse has so much options to install (JDT, Example Plugins etc.).

Is there a specific (philosphical?) reason why there is no Windows installer or is it just that there is no person that created one yet? If the latter is the case, maybe I should create an installer?

An installer would be interesting if it could install the packages
directly from the net. Otherwise, it would just blow up the size
of the base file by another 2-4MB.

Also, using ZIP gives the users a good feeling: They *know* that
Eclipse doesn't install any DLLs or other things in their system
(because there is no installer involved).
Altough I think that a net installer would be nice my opinion is that a lot of people would prefer a full installer. For people new to Eclipse it is confusing that there are different packages. If you want support for languages other than Java, you have to look at a different download location.

Since we were using an open source installer-creator like InnoSetup, everybody could be sure that there are no dlls installed.

If I am right, there is no RPM version for Linux either? Should it be created as well?

Same here. I would admit that having an RPM sounds nice (it would be able
to check the dependencies) but then, different linux distributions call
their RPM different (so there was gtk+_new and gtk+2 and gtk2+, IIRC)
which makes dependencies useless unless you have one RPM per linux dist.
This looks like a big waste of disk space on the Eclipse server in my
eyes.
Yes, the classical problem with RPM on different distributions... Nevertheless I think, there should be RPMs for all distributions. I don't know if the disk space would be a problem for the Eclipse server, but it would not mean more traffic, because everybody would only download the package he requires.

If disk space is a problem, it maybe could be hosted at sourceforge?

Henning

Back to the top