[eclipse-dev] Minutes from 09/25 planning meeting

Apologies up front (to both those in the meeting and those who were not)
for the sporadic nature of this. The regular note taker was away today.
Some items are tagged with "(?)" to indicate incomplete understanding on my
part (or a  particularly fast speaker ;-) ).

Meeting notes 09/19

*** General ***

- Good: The community is taking integration builds again.
- Not good: Not all teams have their milestone plans posted.
    - We reiterated that as a group we would like to see this happen.
    - It's good for community visibility, planning and helps teams learn to
estimate better.

*** Status ***

Dynamic Teams:

    Key Bindings:
        - good understanding of problem.
        - expect to have outline of proposed solution written down in next
day or two.
        - should be possible to get first cut in for M2, modulo
complexities of Mac accelerators.

    Project Structure:
        - problem definition document posted to the newsgroup. Will be sent
to eclipse-dev as well.
        - looked for feedback from newsgroup in 2 areas: is problem
described accurately? what do other IDEs do?
            (some responses in last 24 hours).
        - first cut written of document describing potential solutions for
each problem
            (output folder location, multi-root projects,
inclusion/exclusion).

    Navigation:
        - most of the behavior has been implemented.
        - final API is still under discussion.

Components:

     Core:
        - fixing bugs.
        - bringing team members up to speed on examples and tools.

    Infra:
        - working on test framework.
        - translations.
        - org.eclipse.test this week.

    SWT:
        - bringing several SWT team members up to speed on Mac.
        - integration of "a whack" of new Photon bug fixes.
        - SWT.INDETERMINATE implemented on all platforms (will be used for
AnimatedProgress for next integration build).
        - new DateTimePicker for WinCE port (Stinger).

    VCM:
        - nothing to report.

    UI:
        - most significant item was UI plugin structure changes (see "Text"
below).

    JDT:
        - more JDT UI work. (?)
        - new refactoring (use supertype if possible).
        - auto VM detection. (search for VM)
        - per project options. (?)

    Debug:
        - instance breakpoints.
        - custom toString formatter.

    Install/Update: (?)
        - 2.0.2 stream fixes.

    Help: (?)
        - restructuring browser interface .

    PDE: (?)

    Text
        - PR fixes.
        - significant work done to plan and implement the refactoring of
org.eclipse.ui into several plugins (kudos to Kai).

*** Closing Remarks ***

- Planning meetings work better when they are short and focused
- We need to make progress on the work the dynamic teams are doing, since
they are solving our highest priority challenges.
- We also need to work on the items which have been outlined in the
milestone plans.

Back to the top