[eclipse-dev] Inflexible project structure problem

I posted the following message to eclipse.tools the other day, and it was
suggested to me that it should also be sent here for those who no longer
troll the newsgroup:
------------

A description of what we are calling the "inflexible project structure"
problem (aka bug 6664) has been posted to the following location:

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/inflexible-projects-problem.html

The problem description has been synthesized from numerous Eclipse bug
reports and newsgroup discussions. The next step will be putting together a
proposal for what to do about it for Eclipse 2.1.

There are a couple of ways the Eclipse community can help out.

(1) Issues like this are notoriously hard to circumscribe and pin down.
That's why we thought we should try writing up just the problem statament
before getting into discussions of what to do about it. If you are someone
who is encountering some form of the problem we have described, you can
help us by reading over the problem description and telling us whether it
covers the bases. This is especially important because most of us who have
been working on Eclipse for a long time no longer encounter this problem,
even though others do. Of the three major constraints we've identified in
the current Eclipse project model (single-rooted, all-inclusive, and
non-overlapping), we would like to know which ones affect you most
severely.

(2) We would like to know more about how well other IDEs cope with this
issue. Many of us using Eclipse all the time don't get enough exposure to
other IDEs. Please contact us if you have solid experience with one of the
other mainstream IDEs and would be prepared to consult with us.

Thanks,

The "Inflexible Project Structure" Team ;)

Back to the top