Re: [atf-dev] ATF Config?

Kurt

You can't just debug a _javascript_ file. In Firefox when you type in a URL that points to a _javascript_ file, the source of the _javascript_ file is shown. When ATF debugs a _javascript_ file, it runs in the same engine that is in Firefox. That is the reason that "Debug in Mozilla" only show up for a HTML file.

There is limited integration between the PHP IDE and ATF at this point. This is one of the things on the list to work on. There is no integration between ATF's _javascript_ Debugger and the PHP debugger. ATF and PHP use different server deployment mechanism. ATF uses base eclipse Web Tools server support and PHP uses it own deployment mechanism. You can right click on a html file in a PHP project and do a "Debug in Mozilla". The project including the PHP files will be deployed out to a HTTP server. Do no use the embedded HTML preview server since that server doesn't support PHP.

It is interesting that we never added a file association for "Debug in Mozilla" for a PHP file. There is a very difficult problem with debugging PHP files that contains/generate HTML and _javascript_.  ATF's _javascript_ debugger runs in the context of the browser, so the HTML/_javascript_ that is delivered to the browser does not match what is in the PHP file. In this cases we don't know how to map the breakpoints in the PHP file to the location when running in the browser. It should be possible for the PHP file to contain some HTML with a _javascript_ src attribute that loads a _javascript_ file and to have breakpoints in the _javascript_ file. I'm a little surprise that nobody has ask for this capability before. I'm going to open a bug for this, since it gets us a little more integration between the PHP IDE and ATF.

    Thanks
      Bob

Robert Goodman
IBM Emerging Technologies
goodmanr@xxxxxxxxxx
512-838-8824    T.L. 678-8824

kurt miller <miller_kurt_e@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: atf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/02/2007 02:03 PM

Please respond to
AJAX Toolkit Framework discussion <atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[atf-dev] ATF Config?

I'm not a developer so if  there is a more appropriate
newsgroup then
please direct me there.

I'm fairly new to Eclipse - though it doesn't feel
that way given the
number of hours/days I've spent getting things
configured and working :-)

I'm confused about file associations in ATF.

Dojo is my AJAX toolkit.

In Eclipse, from the PHP perspective, when I right
click on a .js file
and select Debug As..., there is no 'Debug in Mozilla'
option listed.
If I do the same for a .html file (as in the demo)
then the 'Debug in
Mozilla' is available.  What am I missing conceptually
here?  Shouldn't
I be able to debug any _javascript_ within any PHP
project? How do I
configure ATF to debug a .js file?

Thanks,
-km