[wtp-releng] How can we improve our weekly declared build process?

> Long ago, we had a rule that we'd declare at deadline even if teams had not reported, but we

> had a few "bad builds" slip through that way, and as a group we decided to use the "everyone must

> vote" rule, before declaring.

I think that the current process could use some tweaking. It locks the build for a good portion of the week. That is detrimental to progress (especially during functional milestones) and can actually lead to increased stability problems (people can’t release code, so everyone is keeping their changes private, then there is a rush to release code on Monday and something always breaks as the result). In the long term, I am in agreement with Dave, that we should strive to eliminate manual smoke testing completely. We should ultimately be able to go by the junit results alone when picking a build to declare. I haven’t tried SWTBot yet, so I don’t know how reliable it is in terms of not producing a lot of false negatives.

In the short term…

I propose that we limit the actual lock period to no more than 24 hours. Let’s pick the start of the 24 hour period such that it falls during biz hours for most teams and they can start testing. Teams can only release critical changes for the benefit of the smoke test during that 24 hour period. If testing hasn’t completed by the end of the period, the code line opens back up, but smoke testing continues. The only difference is that you can’t pickup a new build as declaration candidate. You are limited to builds that completed in that 24 hour period. Once all teams report, we look at the results. If a bad regression is found that affects a lot of functional area, we just don’t declare a weekly build. The relevant teams would take p1 items for next week to correct the issues in time for that week’s integration build.

I further propose that we move the start of the lock period to Friday from Thursday. We would evaluate the results on Monday morning and decide if we want to declare the build or skip that week. This would give us 4 solid work days to release code normally instead of the current situation where we have 3 and maybe a few hours on Friday afternoon if we are lucky.

- Konstantin

Oracle
Konstantin Komissarchik | Consulting Member of Technical Staff
Phone: +1 425 945 8445 | Mobile: +1 206 898 0611
Oracle Eclipse Tooling
411 108th Ave NE, Suite 800 | Bellevue, WA 98004