[wtp-pmc] 3.2 release train proposal

Apologies for missing the WTP PMC telecon this morning due to the overlap with the Eclipse Planning Council meeting. It included an in-depth conversation about joining the 3.2 “train” along with our prerequisites. The table below is a suggestion of how this might work, followed by some of the more obvious challenges it would entail. (Specific dates haven’t been agreed to, and the extended twilight period needs better definition in terms of how it would contain the converged stack rampdown.) One of the important takeaways is the need to begin synchronizing with milestone releases early on – note that in this proposal WTP joins the 3.2 “train” no later than mid November.

Sample train calendar (final dates and dependency staging TBD):

Date

Meaning

EMF/GEF/VE/DTP

WTP/TPTP/BIRT

Notes

8/12/2005

M1

N/A

N/A

Skipped

9/23/2005

M2

+1 week

N/A

EMF/GEF/VE/DTP? join train

11/4/2005

M3

+1

+2

WTP/TPTP/BIRT join train

12/16/2005

M4

+3

+4

Delayed stack release due to xmas holiday

2/15/2006

M5/API freeze

+1

+2

First time WTP 1.5 functionality / 3.2 feature adoption occurs.

4/1/2006

RC0/FC

+1/2

+1

5/15/2006

Final RC/CC

+1/4

+1/2

6/30/2006

Joint stack GA

+0

+0

Risks to/Requirements on WTP:

  • Requires our 1.0 release to simultaneously adopt/test prereq M3/4 releases within a specified timeframe. (Alternative: fork code and have dual 1.0/1.5 code streams with all the associated overhead.) The expectation is that we would only integrate with platform releases prior to 12/15; new features would only be picked up post our 1.0 release.
  • Adjustment to our previously proposed 1.0 and 1.5 milestone and release dates will be required to align.
  • Our timeframe to define our proposed 1.5 (platform 3.2) APIs is short – we need to declare by end of February ’06. Subsequent to that, we need to manage and publicize breaking API changes prior to releasing.

Back to the top