|[wtp-pmc] Minutes of PMC Telecon, 2005-08-23|
1. Ecosystem Update
- the FAQ page has been updated
- tte Community page will be updated soon
- most tutorials have been updated to reflect WTP 0.7 content
- there has been great feedback on WTP 0.7 in the newsgroup, frequent posts, good discussions, problem reports captured as bugs
- Help system contributions have been received from Christoph Krawczyk and Christopher Judd
- EclipseWorld is being held in New York next week and there are many WTP presentations
- EclipseCon 2006 has issued a call for submissions, please ask your colleagues to contribute abstracts
2. WTP 0.7.1 Release Status
the NL fixes have been made
Naci - looks like non-NL fixes have also been committed
Arthur - we need to limit fixes to NL and sever problems
- we have not formally committed to a 0.7.1 release
- we need to establish the demand from adapters and end users
- if we do have a formal 0.7.1 release, we should synchronize it with Eclipse 3.1.1
[action] Arthur to followup on demand for a 0.7.1 release 
3. WTP 1.0 Release Planning
we need to firm up our plans and establish the API set we will release
- see the roadmap for 1.0 priorities :
* Promote selected provisional APIs to platform status based on vendor requirements.
* Componentize WTP into Features to enable adopters to select subsets of function.
* Fix National Language bugs.
* Fix Accessibility bugs.
* Fix other important bugs, with high priority given to those required by adopters.
* Upgrade Help system content.
David - agreed, with the understanding that performance problems are included under "other important bugs"
- I've been working on the Feature definition
Naci - agreed
Arthur - any planned enhancements in addition to bugs?
Naci - possibly a CMP EJB creation wizard
- some Web service enhancements are being planned
David - possibly spell checking and folding, subject to sizing and resource
[action] Arthur to send out note requesting component leads to update their milestone plans and to map APIs to milestones
David - the recent build breaks have been mainly caused by JUnit timeouts, but are otherwise stable
- the builds may destabilize as more code gets committed
4. Release Engineering
we resolved the treatment of maintenance (M) builds
- they are treated like integration builds
Naci - I've need refactoring the build scripts and and documenting the process
- we need to have reproducible builds that can be run locally
- I am restructuring the tasks so they are more modular
- I've been assessing Maven, which is widely used at Apache, as a way to simplify our build scripts
5. Charter Revisions
Mike proposal a delta to our revisions in the area of working on draft
Naci - agreed
David - agreed
[action] Tim to make the change and resubmit to Mike for approval
6. WTP 1.5 Planning
see roadmap 
- Eclipse 3.2 is proposing a train
- projects can opt in to a coordinated release
- recommend we opt in
- to catch the train we need to move up our milestone dates by 2 weeks
David - agree
Naci - agree
Arthur - I'll update the roadmap now, but we should wait for a PMC quorum to formally opt it
[action] Tim to review Eclipse 3.2 planning with PMC and hold vote on opting in
7. Architecture Update
I am working on a proposal for Feature definition in WTP 1.0 and will post
Arthur - can we target this for 1.0 M8?
David - yes, but not completely due to some additional refactoring work
8. Other Business
Gorkem has developed a PDE tool to aid ISVs in creating server adapters
David - has the PMC agreed to support this type of tool
Arthur - this will help promote the adoption of WTP APIs and extension points
- we should encourage this type of tool for all of our extension points
David - I suggest we start by packaging this type of tool in the SDK examples directory of each component
David - should be be providing zips for each Feature?
- if so, can we use CVS to host them?
Arthur - CVS is not good for binaries since it can't diff them and the server isn't mirrored
- why not have a single binary zip and let adopters extract binaries from it?
David - OK, we won't build mulriple zips for now
IBM Software Group, Rational Division
phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
Back to the top