From: Jesper Steen Møller <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 16 December, 2007 6:40:26 PM
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Start made on code

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
> I've been busy and have made a lot of code - creating the following
> plugins (roughly following the JDT naming conventions):
>
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.debug - contains the debugger and invoker code (no
> activator required)
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.debug.ui - contains the UI launching and debugging
> code
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launching - contains the non-UI launching and
> debugging code
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.xalan - contains the xalan library invoker and
> debugger code
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.feature - wraps up the above plugins
>
> Note that we already have a org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launch plugin. This
> contains all of the Orangevolt code, but it was too difficult to
> integrate with it straight off, so the plan is to integrate the
> org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launch into org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launching, and
> then deprecate org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launch.
>
> In particular we want the following from org.eclipse.wst.xsl.launch:
>
> - console line tracker
> - launch shortcuts (including class that looks better)
> - contextual launch
> - keywords
> - launch config export
> - anything else I've missed
>
> I think it would be best to leave this conversion to Lars when he
> begins work on this project. I will also continue to work on the
> invoker and debugger for a while.
Sounds good. I had an idea for the debugger, if it's possible: Would it
be possible to set a breakpoint on the XML input document (like a
"watchpoint") which is invoked when the XSLT processer matches the input
node (by apply-templates, possibly also with for-each). I can see this
being useful when debugging push-style templates. I guess the feature
could be mimicked by placing breakpoints on each template definition and
comparing the current node with a pre-depermined XPath _expression_.
I haven't played with the debugger enough to know how this could  be done.
> Jesper - do you need any of the X-Assist stuff (builder, hyperlinking
> etc.) for your validation code? If so, just let me know and I will
> make it available.
I was planning to use the validation instead of the builder, since the
new validation framework will solve many of our problems. If we need to
support WTP 2.0, then we'd have to make a bridge the old validator
extension point so we can work with WTP 2.0 as well as

I might need some of the X-Assist stuff. Can I copy and paste if I
preserve the copyrights and re-license?

-Jesper