Re: [wtp-dev] Initial development setup

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/20/2016 12:23 AM, Daniel Kasmeroglu wrote:
Hi there,

I intend to work on some issues that I need to get fixed. Unfortunately I'm a bit confused about the WTP project overall.
(...)
First of all I wasn't able to figure out the actual starting point within the web (I mean a landing page providing links for all necessary infos). I consider https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/webtools to be the most recent and valid location but it wasn't really helpful for me.
What I'm hoping for:
* Is there some sort of documentation available which exercises point-by-point each step to setup an environment?
AFAIK, the main documentation page is https://wiki.eclipse.org/Web_Tools_Projec , however, I cannot find a welcoming page for new contributors...
What would be great would be that you start one, and ask here whenever there's something blocking you.

I totally agree with Mickael. You could start contributing the documentation on how to setup the environment.
2. If you need help, please ask in https://mattermost.eclipse.org/eclipse/channels/webtools or Eclipse IRC: #eclipse or #eclipse-dev

Here's the instructions, in a nutshell:
- You need an IDE and a TP (Target Platform). As IDE you can use Eclipse for RCP Developers and as target Platform you can use Eclipse JEE.
- Here is a video explaining how to setup such an Ide for the JSDT (JavaSscript DevTools), a subproject of WTP:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxfuudlau8 - follow this video until minute 5.26. Then, instead of importing JSDT projects (like in the video), you should import the WTP projects you want to work on.
- Here you find the list of all the WebTools repos: https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/webtools/developer (to work with gerrit, you should clone using the Gerrit URI [link])

Suggestion:
- don't import all the WTP projects

Kind Regards,