[wtp-dev] M5 Schedule Update: New Release Date is July 1

On behalf of the PMC I am letting you know that we have decided to move the M5 release date to July 1. This is a two week shift from our previous date. The reason for this shift is that our M4 date slipped by around 1 week. M5 involves a lot of work, especially in the area of API finalization, so we need the extra time to complete it.

In addition, we will begin the M5 shutdown cycle two weeks prior to the release date instead of one week, that is beginning June 15. This increased shutdown period is warranted based on our experiences shutting down previous milestone releases. Please commit as many fixes as possible prior to June 15.  After June 15, you should only commit fixes to blocking or critical problems, i.e. anything that we consider to be a stop-ship problem. Any other fixes require approval from the PMC or subproject leads (Tim, Christophe, Arthur, or Naci). Post your request to this list and explain the rationale, i.e. that it is a safe fix, won't destabilize the build, and has high customer value.

The M5 shutdown will be our dress rehearsal for our final release (aka M6) on July 29. M6 should be exclusively devoted to stabilization of the product, defect removal, and fit and finish. Defer all new function or major changes to our next release. Any exceptions must be approved by the PMC.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411