RE: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

Vijay,

I think there are many cases where it make sense to have generic 'non JDT specific' function (that would live in WST) that can be supplimented with JDT specific extensions (that would live in JST).   I think the validation framework a good example.

thanks

Craig

Craig Salter
Rational Studio XML Web Services
Internal Mail: D3/RY6/8200 /MKM
Phone: (905) 413-3918  TL: 969-3918 FAX: (905) 413-4920
Internet: csalter@xxxxxxxxxx     Notes: Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

Vijay Bhadriraju <vbhadrir@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/12/2004 02:04 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

After looking at the responses on this subject, from the validation component side I suggest a splitting of plugins here as needed rather than moving the validation plugins with JDT dependency from WST to JST. We can have 2 flavor's where one flavor of the plugin is with JDT dependency and one without. The one with JDT dependency lives in JST    and the one without lives in WST.

Any thoughts about this idea?

- Vijay
Vijay Bhadriraju
Rational Tools, J2EE Tooling
Ph: (919) 486-1898, T/L: 526-1898
Internet: vbhadrir@xxxxxxxxxx

"Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/12/2004 01:33 PM

Please respond to wtp-dev

<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
bcc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

We need to be more specific than "no JDT requred by WST".  I am very interested in mapping XML/XSD/WSDL to/from Java and expect that JDT will be very useful here.  But it's important (to my use cases) that these features be available in an optional feature.  It should be possible to package up a set of features/plugins that provide XML/XSD editing and validation that runs on the core Eclipse platform, without JDT.

Dave

Re: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

Craig,

I agree in principal. Any generic function should be moved into the platform. However, some tools may be generating Java, even in WST. Not all Java related function is in J2EE. For example, what about XSD to Java generators? They are not necessarliy in J2EE so they should be in WST. Or the reverse, generation of XML from Java. You might want to access a Java model or some function that is in JDT.

Back to the top