RE: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

I believe it's important for WST to be installable on the base platform
distribution without JDT.  Fernando cites the example of PHP developers.
But a significant use case that I want to support is XML document authors,
XSD designers, and (in fewer cases) WSDL designers.  Plus the validation
framework for all these structured documents.  For these users, the
"cognitive clutter" of unnecessary perspectives, views, and menus should be
removed.  Java development is not part of their role.

I completely understand the short-term need of reusing convenience utilities
from the JDT, but I think it's a mistake to design in a long-term
dependency.  Of course, some plug-ins will specifically support java or j2ee
activities with WST, but those plug-ins should be packaged as an optional
feature.

Regards,
  Dave Carlson