[wtp-dev] Re: Fw: [wtp-committers] BUILD PROCESS & CALENDAR

I believe the build process document was not clear on this issue.   But it is obvious that the releng team wii *not* choose what goes into a build.  The releng team will only "determine" a label for each milestone build.  If you observe the process caerfully, it suggests how a milestone build is approached.  It does not determine when other builds are done.

It is still up to the committers to set the labels (i.e. they can have a label of their own if they want but why not use a common one for the M builds) and modify the .map files.

HEAD is unstable, but I disagree with the opinion that a builds from the HEAD should be stopped.  The build from the HEAD make sure that when something is broken, you know that it is broken, and do what is necessary to fix it. This feedback is important.  Otherwise we will have "commit" happy, team-unfriendly developers wreaking havoc with the code.  It is easy to fix incrementally, It will be very hard to integrate our code from M build to M build. (see http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html )

My 2 cents.