Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Should editor show new wizard for empty files?

On 04/20/2017 07:20 PM, Daniel Megert wrote:
I am completely against asking editor implementers to do smart stuff when the user opens an empty file. A no go for me.
Would you be so kind to elaborate why? do you think that shwoing a wizard for empty files would lead to a worse user-experience or to some technical drawbacks?
Another approach would be to assume the editors provide content assist that allow to very quickly initialize a file (maybe delegating to a wizard or so).
What I think makes sense is to invoke a better wizard when the user creates a new (basic) file. We could add a new attribute to the newWizards extension point so that we can determine a better wizard based on the file extension.
I'd replace file-extension by content-type, but indeed, if we have the mapping somewhere, we can use it in the new file wizard. But that involves Platform UI providing the extension point and the wizard, and we both know that given the amount of work and resources in platform, this will become a bottleneck.
Moreover, I prefer not going too much into technical details here. The question is what best UX practices should we recommend and follow. The implementation would be a "detail" we cna mention in another iteration.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top