Re: [udig-devel] GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

On 28/03/2010, at 7:58 AM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:

OK, but I'm a bit confused about the place of the implementation. Could you explain the main reason not to implement it as an extension in geotools? Is it because of the pending status as a standard (TMS/WMSC)? Should the udig one be a reference client implementation?

Nothing so complicated.

I have not had time to port the code to geotools.
1) Porting is in two phases; porting the WMSC parsing code and code to fetch tiles.
2) Porting the tile fetching code that is currently done with eclipse Jobs (it would need to be translated to the java.util.concurrency Future api).
      There are two plugable strategy classes one  caches in memory; the other caches on disk.

You can actually see the original code was done in geotools but was dropped due to lack lack of community feedback.

(The above fetches nasa world wind tiles)

The classes I looked at are very similar to the geotools wms extension. And many classes are implemented twice (geotools WMSComplexType / udig WMSCComplexType and their internal classes (like _ServiceType)). Is it planed to move this stuff to the geotools library, so geoserver and other projects can benefit from it?

Would be nice to know ;)

I would love to see it migrated; at the moment all my volunteer time is going into uDig 1.2.0 release.
What I would *love* to see happen is the code submitted as a patch to the geotools "wms" module - and have the "wms" module take on all manner of tile server specifications.
If you would like to join me as module maintainer of wms and prepare the patch I would assist in the migration (transitioning uDig to depend on the classes as they are moved to geotools).

Simone has also expressed interest in the section item 2) above so I am CCing him on this conversation.

Jody

Thanks,
Frank