Re: [tycho-user] POM-less builds and non-SNAPSHOT parent POM releases

Hi Jan,

> not sure I get the problem. A sample demonstrating the problem may help.
>
> Note that "pom-less" only means no poms for features and plugins required.
> Parent poms will always be there, they can't be derived from other metadata.
> Also, the way versions are mapped from OSGi to maven for pom-less builds is exactly the same way it has always been validated with pom.xml, so no change here.

I understand that.

Here's a excerpt of Code Recommenders' (fairly standard) project tree to
illustrate the issue.

During development the versions look like this, with ":plugins" being
both the parent and aggregator of ":org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp":

org.eclipse.recommenders:plugins:2.2.3-SNAPSHOT:pom

\--
org.eclipse.recommenders:org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp:2.2.3-SNAPSHOT:eclipse-plugin

Now, during a release of Code Recommenders 2.2.3 we would use (two
executions of) the tycho-versions-plugin to rewrite the versions [1]:

org.eclipse.recommenders:plugins:2.2.3:pom

\--
org.eclipse.recommenders:org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp:2.2.3-SNAPSHOT:eclipse-plugin

This way, we deploy a non-SNAPSHOT version of our ":plugins" parent POM
to repo.eclipse.org, but still use a SNAPSHOT version for
":org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp", so that the release still has a
qualifier (and this is newer in OSGi terms than the previous SNAPSHOT).

After the release, we switch back to using SNAPSHOT versions only.

org.eclipse.recommenders:plugins:2.2.4-SNAPSHOT:pom

\--
org.eclipse.recommenders:org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp:2.2.4-SNAPSHOT:eclipse-plugin

AFAIK, this release scheme (switching only the parent POMs to
non-SNAPSHOT versions) won't work with POM-less builds; if I switch the
parent to a non-SNAPSHOT version, the POM-less child automatically
switches to a non-SNAPSHOT version as well. Right?

What's the recommended way to do releases with a POM-less build then?

Best wishes,

Andreas

[1]
<https://git.eclipse.org/c/recommenders/org.eclipse.recommenders.git/about/>