[tycho-user] non-p2 based target definitions in Tycho

Hi,

we are using Tycho to build various OSGi-based products (Eclipse RCP, console apps, etc).

We are very interested in having a fine-grained control of the target platforms that individual projects use. Specifically, we use a target-project for each development project. The typical layout of such a project, e.g., for development project Xyz, is shown below.

xyz-target
   |-- eclipse-3.6
   |    |-- deltapack
   |    |    +-- plugins
   |    |-- sdk
   |    |    +-- plugins
   +-- 3rd-party
        +-- something.jar

This folder is maintained in our versioning system. Each developer checks out a copy and builds against that from his Eclipse development environment. The target folder is also used by our continuous integration server to deliver a headless build.

When we build from Eclipse, we use a target definition which refers to the above folders. When we build with Tycho, we use -Dtycho.targetPlatform to point to a (flattened) folder with same plugins as in the structure above. We would like to use the same target definition for both purposes. However, it seems that Tycho only supports target definitions based on p2 repositories and not simple file/directory locations.

Why is this limitation necessary? We could probably develop a Maven plugin to generate and publish a p2 repo. But we feel like this effort would not contribute anything of real value. It seems it would be much better to extend Tycho to support file/directory locations.

Unless there is any really good reason not to extend Tycho in this manner, we might actually do it. Can anyone point us in the right direction with regards to the Tycho source code?

Cheers,

Anders

Back to the top