Re: [tycho-dev] New Java versions (was Re: Tycho 3.0 release)

I think there is a big difference between Platform / IDE and a buildtool.

If I have Java11 code and I want to compile it with java 11 jdk. If I now need to install another jdk just for the purpose of running the buildtool thats quite bad. And as users are still can use Tycho with never version there is also no benefit (from user pov) and I can't remember anyone saying he instantly likes to contribute if tycho would been java 17 code base ;-)

As I said if there is any compelling reason e.g. our dependencies require j17 I'm totally fine and won't argue to keep at all cost at j11, but at the moment there is no need and no benefit (beside using some new language features).