Re: [tycho-dev] Move to Github / Bugzilla, MediaWiki and Git/Gerrit deprecated in early 2021

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Github is more focused on fixing issues rather than managing them ;-)

That's a good marketing punchline, but in reality, there is no substance behind it.
And the reality is that complex projects (and I think Tycho is one of them) need issue management because problems cannot be resolved "atomically", they're a set of independent complex enough sub-issues.

And I think there is no choice to go wit Atlassian tool suite anyways so
I think its a bit out of scope. Anyways github has recently added
support for project management also, so things are changing every day...

Yes, that's actually my hope here. If GitHub comes with good ways to define blocks/depends (also to other GitHub repos or even any link ideally) soon, I won't have any reluctance left.

May projects on https://github.com/eclipse use github also for issues so
maybe its more valuable to ask some of them how they managed it to work.

I actually deal with a few of these repos, and issue relationship actually doesn't work. I have to look for issues in comments whenever I want to find the cause, that's really costing me minutes instead of seconds in Bugzilla every time I need to find something (and that's multiple times a day).

All I wanted was to suggest we better now think about alternatives and
how to proceed before it cannot be postponed anymore...

I think it's also important to voice reasons for simply not agreeing with the change if it's not proven to be helpful to projects.

Really, I'm all for moving to GitHub, even now, for the Git repo and PRs instead of Gerrit; my rants are only about the tracker.
But the issue is that if we move to GitHub and Platform moves to GitLab, and we're to move both to respective trackers, then we can't link Tycho issues to p2 or JDT anymore, that'd be a miss.

Back to the top