Re: [tycho-dev] First org.eclipse.tycho version

Just to make sure that we don't have a misunderstanding here: You want to version the org.eclipse.tycho release that we are going to do after the reneame (i.e. this or next week) as version 0.12.0, and then start development of 0.13.0-SNAPSHOT. Correct?

On 06 April 2011 15:10, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> I think we should promote the first org.eclipse.tycho release and
> encourage everybody to switch to it. I don't expect everyone to switch
> overnight, but having two functionally identical releases will make the
> switch easier to afford for many users. My primary goal here is to have
> (hopefully large) existing org.eclipse.tycho userbase that will help us
> test new features and bugfixes after the first org.eclipse.tycho release.

I agree that we should make the switch as easy as possible. The most important measure to achieve this is the release with identical functionality. We all agree on this.

It is not really that important how we version the org.eclipse.tycho release with org.sonatype.tycho 0.11 functionality. I just think that it is easier to explain that they have the same functionality if they have the same version number. On the other hand, they are not identical, e.g. users won't be able to mix org.sonatype.tycho and org.eclipse.tycho in the same build.

In summary, I have a small preference for org.eclipse.tycho 0.11.0, so +0 from me for 0.11.0

@Igor: Are you +0 or +1 for 0.12.0?
@Jan: Could you break the tie?

> --
> Regards,
> Igor
>
> On 11-04-06 04:58 AM, Oberlies, Tobias wrote:
> > Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> >> Btw, I change my mind about renamed 0.11 version ;-) I think the
> >> renamed version should be 0.12.0 to avoid confusion. I still this
> >> renamed version should not have any other changes compared to
> >> 0.11.
> >
> > This really depends on what we plan to do with the first
> > org.eclipse.tycho release. The way I see it, this will only be a
> > technical release that we will not be promoting to our users. (Why
> > would anyone want to change their build configuration if there is
> > nothing new?) We just create it for troubleshooting purposes, e.g. so
> > that we can verify that there were in fact no functional
> > changes/regressions during the big rename.
> >
> > Our users will eventually change from the org.sonatype.tycho 0.11
> > release to the org.eclipse.tycho SNAPSHOT, which should be
> > 0.12.0-SNAPSHOT. I find this more logical and hence less confusing.

Back to the top