Re: [tracecompass-dev] ftrace support and roadmap

Hi Jerome,

Quick question, what do you actually mean by "support for ftrace"?

I have not used ftrace much myself, but I have seen demos of the KernelShark tool. From a quick look it seems like something that could be easily re-implemented within Trace Compass, possibly using the shiny new data-driven time graph views.

Basically what would be required is:
- A parser for the traces (the "trace-cmd.dat" man page defines that format, right?) - A mapping from events to states (which events cause which states, under which conditions, etc.)
- A mapping from states to colors to put in the view

Also, just like the Wireshark/pcap parser that was added last summer, the goal wouldn't be to take over or replace Wireshark/KernelShark. But rather, having at least the main features and similar views available in Trace Compass would allow looking at those traces side-by-side with other traces of other types (like other layers in the stack). Which would allow for more advanced use cases.

Would it be something useful, or did you have something else in mind?

Cheers,
Alexandre