Re: [eclipse-pmc] Re: FW: [tools-pmc] Request to approve XULRunner as an exempt pre-req

The Policy and Procedure for 3rd Party Dependencies document [1] states:
Any situation where Eclipse software is designed to call or otherwise invoke third party software - even through indirect means - creates a "dependency" on the third party software. Such
dependencies may require approval by the EMO.
Currently, our mechanism for getting this approval is through IPZilla. This has an added benefit of being a single place were we track all of these dependencies.

Please create the CQ. I can guarantee your safety.

Wayne

[1] http://eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf

Ed Merks wrote:
Guys,

Speaking from personal experience with things like Hibernate for Teneo, a works-with dependency on an LGPL library, a CQ is still required in that case.

Jeff McAffer wrote:
Taking that argument ad ubsurdum, we should simply do away with the works-with notion because anyone could build a dependency on any part of the system so nothing is not a hard requirement. Does not work in practice IMHO.

As I said, its a judgement call on the part of the project leadership/PMC. If, on the whole, the project's shipping function still works and, on the whole, the project is reaching it stated goals and purposes without 3rd party function X then X could be considered a works-with dependency. While the project team may regret that their stuff cannot be used on Linux for browser based apps, it does not completely invalidate their efforts and the project output is broadly usable.
If it itches, scratch.  If it hurts.  Stop.

Jeff

Jeff McAffer | CTO | EclipseSource | +1 613 851 4644
jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> | http://eclipsesource.com