From: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Watson
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:25 PM
To: Tools PMC mailing list
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] PTP 1.1 release review

Jeff,

On Jan 4, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Jeff McAffer wrote:

I just want to be really clear on the API points.  Adding API can cause breakage (e.g., adding a method to an interface that others are exepected to implement).  In the release review context it is interesting to know a) that the API has evolved with new function and b) that the old and new API are binary compatible.  That says that existing clients continue to work and new/updated clients have improvements available.  Of course, this also impacts the package/bundle version numbering.  I'll send you some pointers to a new API comparison tool we are working on that should help clarify what is going on here.

Great thanks. There was less emphasis on API's in the Technology Project (understandably, since it is an incubator), but I'm happy to change this now we're part of Tools.

BTW, what is going to be your story for the 1.x -> 2.0 migration?  Are you going to keep the 1.x API alive or toss it and have everyone migrate to 2.0?

The 1.x API will be tossed. There is no real need to keep the 1.x API since we don't have many clients in 1.x (mainly our own code), and new integrators are being directed to 2.0.

Greg

Jeff

Greg Watson <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/04/2007 12:00 AM

Please respond to
Tools PMC mailing list <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [tools-pmc] PTP 1.1 release review

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the input. Responses below. I'll clarify these in the slides before the review.

Greg