Re: [stp-dev] EMF domain modelling and SOA tools

Title: Re: [stp-dev] EMF domain modelling and SOA tools
Hello Marc,

I got your point and I agree with them completely. IMO XMLSchema (WSDL), JavaBeans, UML (XMI) or ECORE are simply different representation for the metadata and now we have tooling chain available in Eclipse Modelling project to freely transform from one form to another. The most important question is which form contains the most information and IMO it’s ECORE (followed by UML Class Diagrams).
We have a number of usecases where customers are coming to us with ready-made artefacts like Domain Models (in UML Class Diagramms) and BP* processes already described, what they need is a tool that bundles it all together. Right now they are generating JavaBeans for model objects, writing Hibernate configuration and creating XMLSchemas accordingly. So you can imagine how much work is to maintain all that and in case of any changes...
So my idea was to use a richest meta-model to describe domain model and then just use it across all involved parties, and IMO EMF is a best example for it since it covers XML DataBinding, ORM and UI-Visualization requirements.

The advantages of the Servus that I have seen is that they are taking a step in this direction, however disadvantage I see is that they weren’t going far enough when thinking about replacement of WSDL model with something else, for example SCA component models or something similar to STP-IM.

Thanks for the tip of the SDO and IBM WSPS, I will have a look on it!
Concerning Teneo we used it for prototyping in one of our projects (it was a year ago) and it looked really promising.
We were using it for Hibernate integration, and it’s capabilities are very impressive, it could even work with Dynamic ECORE models and FeatureMaps...

Renat