Re: [stp-dev] EMF domain modelling and SOA tools

Hi Renat

This is interesting, but there are many ways to do it depending on the use cases, ex : * EMF-first design and then WSDL generation tool (that would be more mode driven), * WSDL-first and tool to help design EMF out of it (the common case in SOA),
  * at runtime using EMF from WSDL generation (that would be databinding)

In a way, SDO in IBM's Websphere Process Server does much of what you say, allowing you to design domain objects that are native in java AND xml AND emf at the same time. It's a great technical solution, but I think it is still too constricting in all-around SOA use cases, where anybody (language, tool, platform...) should be able to call your service only by complying to your service interface, without forcing them to use your tool chain. Obviously, if you can it's another story :) Since I work for an integrator, we have really diverse use cases and believe in a more open approach, where we know which kind of service interface we're starting from and to which domain impl we're going to.

Anyway, Servus is indeed interesting since helping design (refactor...) services' schemas vs domain data is crucial. Your ideas are great at design time to help such tooling of service vs data design.

BTW did you try Teneo ?

Regards,
Marc

Renat Zubairov a écrit :
Hi all,

I was thinking about possibility to integrate EMF modelling with services provided by different SOA tools/layers. For example once we have a EMF Model (ecore) for the application domain model we could do multiple things (e.g. persist it to database with EMF Teneo/Hibernate/CDO) which is for example generate an XML Schema with the java code according to the model. So, now if we could use the XML Schema in the WSDL then we could create services that are using domain model as parameters. After it we could think further and say we could annotate SCA descriptors or any other logical service representations (e.g. WSDLs) with the references to ECORE and get a common modelling solution not only for Service/BP modelling but also for Domain modelling.

I had a look on the EMF project and found one very interesting one:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Servus

This project is unfortunately dead right now however some first implementation look very promising.

What do you think about it?
Have you done something similar already?

Renat