Re: [stp-dev] OSGI component support in Service Creation

Hi Andrei,

It is good to know that you guys already supported  the osgi component deployment based on wtp server framework in Swordfish.
Then in the service creation area, we will focus on how to help user to create osgi component more easily.

For the project wizard, I also agree that we will more likely to provide technology based wizard. Such as ServiceMix project wizard.

From end user point of view, when creating a ServiceMix or Swordfish component for osgi based runtime, he need to define:
  • Bundle dependency
I think the current WTP server/runtime api can only get the classpath information. This need to be extended to allow retrieving the osgi bundle information as well. (id, version, exported packages...etc). The Eclipse Manifest editor can be used here to setup the dependency.
  • Classpath
Just like the eclipse plug-in project, the bundle project's classpath is combined by
      -- classes from osgi runtime dependency.
      -- jars from local lib dir under project.
      -- classes from exported package in other bundle component projects within the same workspace. (Users may develop multiple components at once)
      -- compilation output from the project itself
IMHO, it is better to have one dedicated classpath page in the osgi editor to help users to solve the problem.

On the usability side, one possible improvement is to create a GUI layer for those commands from the osgi console. So users won't often start from 'osgi>help' like me.

Thanks

Johnson