Re: [soc-dev] GSoC 2013

Hi All,

On 20 February 2013 17:27, Markus Alexander Kuppe
<soc-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/19/2013 09:11 PM, Dariusz Luksza wrote:
>> I would rather say that involvement in project during (or before)
>> student proposal period should be required from students. I'm not
>> thinking here of something huge, but simple sings of interested from
>> student in participating in project like fixing small bug(s), adding
>> micro improvements to code base or simple activity on mailing list
>> should be must for accepted students.
>
> -1
>
> Feel free to use this as a personal guideline when ranking student
> proposals, but don't make it a general hard requirement.
>
> GSoC has the concept of a bonding period already, during which the
> student is expected to interact with the project. If the student is a
> no-show, fail him/her then.

I completely agree with Markus and -1 for a hard requirement on code
contributions.

Making code contributions to a project is a compelling idea but for a
project code is only one aspect. Rather these students can contribute
good ideas, designs, docs, etc to the project.

I know there are lot of organizations who make it a hard requirement
to provide code contributions. But for providing code contributions
for Eclipse Foundation is not straight forward for a new comer like in
some other project since basically the student has to learn OSGi,
Eclipse PDE and so on.

So there shouldn't be a hard requirement for a code contributions.

As Markus mentioned, during the Community bonding period students are
supposed to go through our existing code, familiar with it,
communicate with committers and mentors, fix some bugs, etc.

That should provide a good indicator whether the student is a real
good one or NATO (No Action Talk Only) one.

If they proved to be NATO, we just need to fail them at the Mid-Term
because there is ample time to show his interest in the project and
make contributions before the mid term.

Thanks and Regards,
Harshana

> Markus