Re: [servlet-dev] Big ticket items for Servlet 6 / Jakarta EE 10?

Hi,

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020, Stuart Douglas <sdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx

I would be very very strongly opposed to anything that adds some new type of dependency injection just for Servlet. Jakarta EE as a whole already has too many, and it is definitely confusing to users (questions about why @Contextual from JAX-RS is not working on a CDI bean are super common on the Quarkus mailing list).

Yes, that has been a big historical mistake, one that I’m not sure why it was made. History has it Gavin was aware of the JAX-RS group doing their own DI, and was going to talk to them to prevent this. The outcome of these talks have been lost in history.

The major problem of the EE platform imho is that too many APIs see or saw themselves as totally independent, so not being able to depend on whatever else already exists in EE.

Kind regards,
Arjan

Stuart

cheers