[servlet-dev] Big ticket items for Servlet 6 / Jakarta EE 10?

Hi,

A number of other specs in Jakarta have provided some ideas or roadmap items for their next major versions.

Until so far I don't think Servlet has provided any such ideas, although we do have a backlog of about 112 issues, which are mostly clarifications or small enhancements.

One of the pitched themes for Jakarta EE 10 is alignment, and for this theme I'd like to make a few proposals:

1. In cooperation with Jakarta REST (previously JAX-RS), see if we can define a subset of Servlet on which Jakarta REST can conveniently depend. At the moment most Jakarta REST implementations are based on Servlet anyway, but officially there's no such dependency.

2. For in a Jakarta EE environment, and as a separate related new spec, define a CDI version of Servlet, for instance with the proposed package jakarta.servlet.cdi. This would define what a Servlet would look like as a pure CDI bean, and in addition would finally allow us to transfer the HttpServletRequest producer that's now in core CDI itself.

Alternatively this can also be proposed as a completely independent spec, not using the jakarta.servlet package, and just building on Servlet (like, e.g. Jakarta Faces does).

Thoughts?

Anything else that's big? Any of the existing issues we'd like to prioritize for Servlet 6?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Back to the top