Re: [servlet-dev] Big ticket items for Servlet 6 / Jakarta EE 10?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 22:41, Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 11:50, Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 13:53, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anything else that's big? Any of the existing issues we'd like to prioritize for Servlet 6?

Another thing that would be to support Executors to be injected and/or exposed by the container.  Too many deployments end up having many many thread pools, so it would be good to facilitate sharing.

This has a lot of overlap with Jakarta EE Concurrency. If we were going to do this I think it should be something like a getExecutor() method on the ServletContext.

I don't mind the idea of injection if we added a Servlet specific CDI qualifier (@ServletExecutor), but that requires a direct dependency on the CDI API for the @Qualifier annotation which is not going to fly.

I would be very very strongly opposed to anything that adds some new type of dependency injection just for Servlet. Jakarta EE as a whole already has too many, and it is definitely confusing to users (questions about why @Contextual from JAX-RS is not working on a CDI bean are super common on the Quarkus mailing list).

Stuart

cheers